GURO-EKM connection boxes for lighting applications
Connection boxes are intended to be used inside lighting poles and outdoor as a connection between underground cables and the lighting equipment.
Functions of them:
- connecting or terminating underground cables in streetlighting network.
- connection of lamps or streetighting equipments with underground cable lines.
- protecting this connection against moisture ingress.
- electrical protection for lamps and lighting equipment by fuses, MCB or surge arrester.
- safety/life protection against touch of live line.
Feature of EKM boxes parts:
- the closures are made of impact resistant, flame retardant thermoplastic materials.
- cable core terminals for underground cables. They are made of stainless steel or galvanized copper alloys. They can be as a mantle or as a sliding terminal depending on the type of box.
- fuse sockets that can be D01 (E14) or DII (E27) depending the model. Some model is equipped by fuse or fuse cap by factory.
- the lamp area consists of the terminals, pillar or lug type, and the cable sealing that can be rubber grommet or compression gland (Pg).
Optional accessories in EKM Guro boxes depeding the type of box:
- 1 or 2 pieces DIN rails for MCBs, low voltage surge arresters, timers or RCCB.
- In=5 kA or 3 kA-s ZnO gapless low voltage surge arrester for protecting LED lamps against voltage peaks or discharges.
Selection steps of boxes:
- in case of mounting in streetlighting pole, the diameter of the lamp post and size of the door limit the applicable fuse boxes.
- number of underground cables, that can be 1 (the last box on the cable line), 2 (boxes are connected to each other like a string) or 3 cables (cable line with one branch connection).
- cross section, number of cores (screened e.g. NYCWY or unscreened e.g. NYY) of the underground cable.
- number of fuses/fuse sockets (depending the number of protected devices). They can be (1, 2, 3 pieces) and type (E14, E27, or MCB).
- demand for equipped low voltage surge arrester. The inside dimensions of EKM boxes limit the applicable surge arrester.
- application area: indoor (lamp post) or outdoor.
- the material and the design of the boxes define the IP degree and impact withstand. Generally the boxes with transparent cover without screw locking are not recommended for outdoor applications. EKM-2050, EKM-2051 boxes are orderable with different covers and lamp cable gland, depending the application demand.
Designation of the boxes:
The type of EKM defines the dimensions of boxes, regardless the inside accessories. The most popular boxes are: EKM-1261, EKM-2072, EKM-1271, EKM-2020, EKM-1281, EKM-2050, EKM-2051, EKM-2035.
The EKM fuse boxes had been developed by Paul Jordan Company Berlin. Name JOR and GURO were the property of Paul Jordan company. They used a „JOR” number for designation the different types of EKM Guro fuse boxes.
After aquisition company Paul Jordan by Tyco Electronics, Tyco Electronics gave unified names for the complete EKM fuse boxes family, which contain the technical description of the boxes. However the JOR number do not show any information regarding the application opportunities and ranges, they can be seen on still on some plans and quotation requests.
Let’s see an example regarding a description of a EKM Guro fuse box:
JOR-91081 = EKM-1261-1D2-5X16-2PG-C2
EKM-1261: the type of fuse box with given dimensions and IP degree.
1D2= 1xE27 fuse socket (without fuse itself and fuse screw head)
5x16= max. application range of underground cable and number of (mantle)terminals. So it can be connected to this box 2 cables with 5 cores (e.g. NYCWY), the max. cross section is 16mm2 per core.
2PG= there are 2 PG cable glands on the top of the box to the lamp cable, this PG cable gland and there IP degree of this box allow an outdoor application opportunity as well.
C2= entry number of underground cables.
We are at Your disposal in „translation” of JOR numbers to unified EKM description, and selection the proper EKM fuse boxes for the required application.